Monday, September 15, 2008

Phone Call from Doctor

I just got a phone call from Dr. Broselow's nurse. I had all the maternal testing done a few weeks ago and one of the test came back positive. I always get nervous when doing these test, but I would rather know if something is going to be wrong so that we can prepare for it. The test that came back positive was the open neural tube defects test. The nurse said that it is something that could have a wide range of stuff. She also said that it was just a screening test and not a diagnostic test so there is some other things that they will need to check out before saying that the baby definitely has this. What I have read so far is that it is something that has to do with the spinal cord most of the time. They want me to see Dr. Hales next Tuesday at 9:15 am because that is the soonest they can get me in. I am really nervous and shook up about this. It is just scary and the phone call happened on a day that I was already stressed out enough. I know that Todd and I and our whole family will not love this baby any less but it is still scary to know that this is a possibility. Please just keep us in your prayers and hope for the best situation. Whatever it will be, I know that it will be fine, right now I'm just having a hard time digesting all the news. The first step is having a sonogram that will hopefully show some more details, but could also lead to having an amnio. I know it is in God's hands and He can work magic. Please keep us in your prayers and hope for the best outcome possible and maybe it was just a false positive, and that if there is some kind of defect, that Todd and I can prepare to give the baby what it will need.

2 comments:

Beck Boys said...

When I was pregnant with Braxton that test came back positive both times. We have to have multiple ultrasounds and it was very stressful, all to find out that he is very healthy and fine. We will add you to our prayer list, hang in there.

The Barfields said...

Hi Robyn-
I will be thinking about you. Please give us an update when you have one. I am sure he/she is just fine.

Amy